Follow by Email

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

the love day...

ah, the seasons of life.

back when we were young and infatuated, this day was critical. "will he buy me flowers?" "is he going to ask me (the BIG question) today?" "does he like me, even?"

etcetera.

once married, and securely settled, more or less, it became..."is he going to forget?" "should i ask him if he wants a special treat (ahem)?" "should i get  a babysitter for the kids and we go out?" "can we afford to go out?"

etcetera.

with teenagers in the house, it became even weirder. from the kids perspectives: "would you guys stop being gross please?" "who bought these stinky flowers?" "can i have money to buy something for this girl i like?" "i just wanna die. he didn't get me anything for valentine's day. sob sob."

etcetera.

then...the empty nesters' valentine's day scenario: "you want to go out to eat? not there, i got sick going there last time..." "sorry i'll be out of the country, dear, on valentine's day...we'll do something nice when i get back" "can you leave me some extra money so i can buy myself something for valentine's day?"

etcetera.

and now, to the present day scenario.

morning calls on the cell phones: "sweetheart, i'm sorry, i forgot to say happy valentine's day! happy valentine's day...i'm on the highway and can't talk..." "hi dear, where are you now? i forgot to give you the card, it's on my desk..." "are you still up? i thought you'd be asleep. i did the 3 k run...my legs hurt...goodnight..."

ah, life.

etcetera.