Follow by Email

Thursday, April 19, 2012

small towns...

i grew up on a small farm just outside of a small town.


rode the small school bus to a small school in the small town.


worked at a small grocery store, taught piano lessons in a small way to a handful of students.


attended a small church.


graduated from a small class...


i know small.


lately, i've had the feeling i'm living, once again, in a small town.


the subdivision where we live is composed of about 25 family homes, and a contingent of daily workers that are only there for the day. yet, in this tiny microcosm of society, there is human interaction of every kind: intrigue, gossip, slander, friendliness, neighborliness, backbiting, criticism, praise.


in the school where i am presently working, there are probably less than a thousand people. as i dip my proverbial toes into the culture of this campus, i am finding the same thing: intrigue, gossip, slander, friendliness, neighborliness, backbiting, criticism, praise.


DÉJA VU.


i find myself wondering how long before i'm drawn into the shadowy depths of small-town negativity again. i see myself focusing on the negatives instead of the positives. i look deep down in the depths of my - GASP- deceitful heart, and see a small-minded type of thinking that surreptitiously tries to draw me into the murky waters of gossip and complaining.


lord, deliver me from myself.


let me be the one who does not succumb to small-town negativity.


let me be the one who lives and works in an atmosphere of joy and positivity, regardless.


for your glory...


amen.